Chiropractic Care For Pregnant Women
During pregnancy, your body goes through many changes to help make sure delivery of the baby goes smoothly. One of these changes is increased volumes of the hormone relaxin released in the body. Relaxin relaxes the joints and helps ease labor and the delivery, however, sometimes the ligaments can get so loose they become structurally unsound and this can cause pain. Other health effects of pregnancy which can cause uncomfortable spinal adjustment are the fact that you’re carrying an extra 10-12kg, the weakening of abdominal muscles and the accentuation of the curve in your lower back. Chiropractic care can benefit pregnant women who are experiencing larger-than-normal levels of pain during their term: we discuss how.
How Can Chiropractic Care Help Pregnant Women?
Chiropractic care keeps the spine aligned, so it can be useful for pregnant women who are experiencing greater-than-normal levels of pain during their term. Chiropractic care has also been recommended by midwives to women whose baby is lying sideways, breech or along their back. Chiropractic care can also help women just feel better, especially during their third trimester – a single complaint may not be present, yet spinal adjustment can help pregnant women become more comfortable overall.
Research into chiropractic care for pregnant women also demonstrates that it is useful in the following ways:
- Alleviation of pain: Around 75% of women who receive chiropractic care during their pregnancy report feeling less pain two-to-four days after treatment. This is because their muscles, joints and ligaments are more aligned and the pelvic floor is more stable.
- Alleviation of nausea: The spinal cord and spinal nerves, which chiropractors work on, are part of the nervous system. Chiropractic care can improve the overall functioning of the nervous system, which may help with nausea.
- Repositioning of the baby: If a baby does not have enough room in the womb or is presenting in the breech position, pelvic realignment can reduce intrauterine constraints and present a better position for delivery. In the event a baby is presenting in breech position, research recommends seeing a chiropractor one a week during the eighth and ninth months of pregnancy.
- Reduced labor time: Research shows that pregnant women who receive chiropractic care have 25-31% shorter labor times.
- Alleviation of postpartum pain: Chiropractic care can be useful for treating middle back and neck pain which arises due to breastfeeding.
Risks of Chiropractic Care During Pregnancy
Chiropractic care is safe for most pregnancies, unless you have vaginal bleeding for unknown reasons, preeclampsia, or are at risk of premature labor. Regardless, it’s always best to check with your obstetrician before seeing a chiropractor.
Book an Appointment With Willetton Chiro
Book an appointment with Willetton Chiropractic to ensure the best health outcomes for you during your pregnancy term. Experiencing frequent, sharp pain in the back or neck is unusual. Willetton Chiropractic are passionate about helping clients to live healthier, pain-free lives. Book an appointment today to discover how chiropractic care may be able to help you.